Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pound Cake for Breakfast

Sometimes you gotta eat pound cake for breakfast. Today was one of those days. I think I learned this habit from my dad. Anytime there was pound cake in our house growing up, it was understood that not only was it a dessert, but it was also breakfast! My favorite flavor of pound cake is chocolate (I always ask for a chocolate pound cake for my birthday – no icing, please!), and I love to heat it in the microwave for just a few seconds and devour it with a glass of milk. However, this weekend I made a vanilla pound cake for Father’s day, and had a hunk leftover, so guess what? Pound cake for breakfast!

And, just to make sure you have a recipe and can bake your own breakfast pound cake, here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
2 Sticks Butter
3 Cups Sugar (room temp)
6 Eggs (room temp)
3 Cups Cake Flour, sifted
1/4 tsp baking soda
8oz Sour Cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions:
Cream together butter and sugar in a stand mixer. Then, continually mixing, add eggs, one at a time. Alternate adding scoops of the dry mixture (flour + baking soda) and spoonfuls of sourcream. Mix well. Last, add vanilla. Pour batter into a greased/floured tube pan. Bake in a NON-preheated oven at 325 for 70 minutes. Remove from oven & enjoy! It’s always nice to have a hot slice fresh from the oven, but this cake will last for days, and if you want it hot later, just stick slice in the microwave.

1 comment:

  1. We always toast it in the oven for breakfast! So funny to hear someone else talking about eating it for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete