Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sleigh Bell Trot

 
Last night Ryan & I ran with some friends in the annual Sleigh Bell Trot at Saluda Shoals Park.  It's a fun little race that runs through the park, and they have all the Christmas light displays lit up.  However, it was pretty warm outside so it didn't feel too Christmas-y! 
 
It was an eye opener for me, as my first "event" following my half-marathon in Savannah.  Going into last night, I thought, it's only 3.1 miles, I ran 13.1 miles just a few weeks ago, this is no big deal!  However, I took off at a quicker pace than my half-marathon pace, and I felt it the WHOLE way.  I guess the moral of the story is, don't think that because you finished a big long endurance event that the short quick race is going to be an easy one. 
 
I felt great when I crossed the finish line, completing the race at less than an 11min/mile pace (that's a whole min/mile faster than my half-marathon pace).  Since I was more focused on running than the lights during the race, we walked back to our car and enjoyed the lights a little before we left.  With Thanksgiving tomorrow, and seeing all the lights last night, I'm ready to get our house all decked out for the holidays!
 
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment