Monday, February 7, 2011

memory verses

Last week I memorized Romans 8:37-39 "No, in all these things, we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither life nor death, neither angels nor demons, neither things past or things to come, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything in all creation can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
 
And this week I'm working on Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
 
I have several ways of working on my scripture memory, first I write my verse for the week in a little chubby notebook, then I copy it into my day-timer so it is there for me to look at each day when I check out my schedule.  For especially long verses, I break it into pieces and write them on sticky notes, and sometimes practice writing/typing them out.  I'm trying to go back a few times each week and read/recite the verses from earlier weeks, just to keep them fresh.  Also, I recite the weekly verse to Ryan and to the girls in my Bible study. 
Speaking of, I'm so thankful for our Wednesday night Bible study to help keep me accountable for learning my verses each week.  I've had the privilege of meeting with this group of women since the summer of 2009, and they have had a major impact on my life.   That summer, we started memorizing scripture just by picking verses that spoke to us individually.  It amazes me each week the varying scriptures that we learn, and often I find new verses that other women have learned speak to me and I write them down to memorize myself. 
We are reading Nancy DeMoss' Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets them Free, and I think everyone would agree that just two chapters in, this book has been eye-opening and extremely convicting.  The main focus this past week was removing the focus from ourselves, accepting responsibility and not making excuses, and trusting God's love to change us and fulfill us.  If you're looking for a challenging and inspiring book, I would definitely recommend this study.

Hope you're having a great week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment