Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Return of Memory Verses


I got away from blogging about my memory verses a while back.  Probably, because I got away from memorizing them weekly when our last Bible study ended several MONTHS ago. (New Year's Resolution FAIL).  I tell you, accountability is KEY to help keep you on track!  We're back started now, reading an incredible book Lord, I Want to Know You by Kay Arthur.  But anyway, back to memory verses. 
 
Currently, I'm working on 2 Corinthians 4:16-18.  I've written the whole passage here, but it'll probably take me a few weeks to get the whole thing down by heart. 
 
"Therefore, we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory which far outweighs them all.  So, we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary and what is unseen is eternal." 
 
When I read this passage this week, it hit me that for the last little while, my mind has been focused on the "light and momentary troubles" we have been facing lately.  I've written and erased a few whiny posts about things that have been going on in our lives, because ultimately, as this verse reminds me, those things that have been troubling me are just temporary, and the things that should fill my mind are things that have eternal significance. 
 
I feel so incredibly blessed to serve a God who uses His word to remind me at just the right time.  In fact, I am over a month behind on my "Read-the-Bible-in-A-Year" plan, and if I was on schedule, this verse may not have spoken to me quite as much.  So God can use every situation for good, even my failure to fulfill my committment to daily Bible reading.  That's the beauty though, when we fall down, He picks us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment